This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

XML output

Oct 25, 2011 at 7:11 PM

A long time ago, I submitted some patches for VLD that added a couple of useful features to it. One was run-time triggering of the dump report with filenames that included a timestamp. This was to allow the tracking of memory management problems that aren't technically leaks, where objects get stuck in collections and never accessed. These can account for a LOT of memory. To make tracking this type of thing easier, I also added the ability to output the leak reports formatted as XML. You could then run your instrumented binary, wait for it to stabilize, trigger an XML dump to a file, let it run for a while, then trigger another dump. A comparison of the two dumps would tell you what objects were accumulating in memory and where they were allocated. My patch also fixed broken support for a number of different visual studio platforms that had incomplete or broken support. I am going to see if I can redo the patch based on the current code-base, as it is VERY useful in a number of debugging scenarios...

Coordinator
Nov 2, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Hi. That would be awesome!