This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

VLD with application ends immediately with return code of 0xC0000417

Feb 4, 2013 at 9:44 PM
I attempted to use VLD 2.2.3 with an application and a number DLLs linked to that application. When I rebuilt with VLD and ran the application in the Visual Studio 2010 debugger, the application ends almost immediately with a return code of 0xC0000417. I can ascertain that the constructor of the application object is never called and that the application's InitInstance is never called.

Any idea why this would be happening with VLD. Without VLD the application comes up without any problems.
Feb 4, 2013 at 10:20 PM
I have almost the same problem. I added VLD to a DLL but not to the app. As soon as the App enters to load the DLL, the app exists immediately with an error. Without VLD everything works. I also launch the mainapp from VS2010.
Feb 5, 2013 at 3:02 PM
It does not sound like VLD actually works. Too bad. It sounded like an excellent tool but evidently is doing something which keeps applications with DLLs being used with VLD from working. Back to the VS2010 debugging tools.
Feb 8, 2013 at 5:37 PM
I also tried aqtime. same problem there. thought vld being better ;)
Coordinator
Feb 12, 2013 at 12:05 AM
I think this is problem with dbghlp32.dl. Try copy vld*.dll and dbghlp32.dll with manifest to your application folder
Mar 20, 2013 at 2:10 AM
WWebber wrote:
I have almost the same problem. I added VLD to a DLL but not to the app. As soon as the App enters to load the DLL, the app exists immediately with an error. Without VLD everything works. I also launch the mainapp from VS2010.
I had a similar problem whereby VLD works fine on my main app but it crashes whenever i include it in one of my dlls. Turns out I had +hpa set with gflags.exe from some early dabbling with WinDbg. After disabling hpa everything works as advertised.
Apr 18, 2013 at 3:01 PM
KindDragon wrote:
I think this is problem with dbghlp32.dl. Try copy vld*.dll and dbghlp32.dll with manifest to your application folder
It turns out it is a problem with the vld.ini file, although I have not been able to determine which setting I changed caused the problem. When I just use the initially distributed vld.ini file and change only the "ReportTo" from 'debugger' to 'both', everything works correctly. I think when I tried to change the "ReportFile" to some file path, this was causing the problem.