Trouble connecting with Team Foundation Server?

Developer
Dec 11, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Anyone else having trouble connecting to VLD using visual studio through team foundation server?

I haven't connected in a while, and so last night I tried to connect. But I couldn't remember the server addresses and such. So I went to codeplex here to look up the server and port information for VLD and Lo and behold I couldn't find it!!

The source code page doesn't contain any connection information anymore! I finally found another project (i.e. NOT vld) where I could find the connection information. I therefore finally logged into a server using TFS. But when I opened the Source Control Explorer (In visual studio), it was completely empty...

What on earth is going on?

Coordinator
Dec 11, 2012 at 12:44 PM
Edited Dec 11, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Hi. I am very sorry, but I moved from TFS to git SCM. I want accept pull requests for VLD instead of patches (pull requests are great for open source projects), and tfs-svn works bad for me. Sorry that it did not warn you.

Developer
Dec 11, 2012 at 1:05 PM
Edited Dec 11, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Ok, no problem. Thanks for the quick reply. So I install git? Which UI front end should I use for git... or which one do you recommend?

Developer
Dec 11, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Ok, I instlaled Git, and downloaded all the source code for VLD. From what I can tell we have no UI front-end for git. Is that true? Do we have to do all committing via command line? Yikes...

Developer
Dec 11, 2012 at 2:44 PM
Edited Dec 11, 2012 at 3:19 PM

To be honest, I think this is a huge step backwards for productivity. Working with git requires a whole host of new tools, modifications to PATH environment variables and the like. I had to install some mysysgit tools, and all that gave me was some cryptic, mysterious command line interface through something called bash. Once I got that installed, I had to follow some cryptic instructions just to download the code. Imagine that! The easiest most simple task, downloading the code I had to follow a set of instructions that was about 4 pages long, and heaven help me if I got one iota wrong. 

This is not user friendly AT ALL.

So only after digging around, I found some helpful users (Codeplex was not helpful enough apparently) who suggested this website for a GIT GUI front end: http://code.google.com/p/gitextensions/

So I installed it, and found to my dismay that the tool has a whole host of requirements with dependencies on Unix Shell Tools (Huh I thought this was WINDOWS!!!), some bash/putty shells (Huh? I thought this was WINDOWS), some K3diff tools etc...

So crawled through that configuration mess and wanted to diff a file. But how on EARTH do I diff a file?? In TFS you simply fight clicked on a file to do a diff between your file and the repository...

I think this solution is worse than the original problem. It is a definite step backwards in efficiency and productivity. 

Coordinator
Dec 11, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Yes, I suggest use GitExtensions (BTW, I one of developers).

ChrisJohnson wrote:

So I installed it, and found to my dismay that the tool has a whole host of requirements with dependencies on Unix Shell Tools (Huh I thought this was WINDOWS!!!), some bash/putty shells (Huh? I thought this was WINDOWS), some K3diff tools etc...

Just install MSysGit and KDiff from GitExtensionsComplete and forget about that.

ChrisJohnson wrote:

So crawled through that configuration mess and wanted to diff a file. But how on EARTH do I diff a file?? In TFS you simply fight clicked on a file to do a diff between your file and the repository...

I think this solution is worse than the original problem. It is a definite step backwards in efficiency and productivity. 

Yes, integration with Visual Studio as in TFS (because of that I've use GitExtensions as separate window), but TFS integration doesn't work for me before. You can install this VS plugin that has better integration with VS http://gitscc.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Installation&referringTitle=Documentation . I have not used it before. You can check diff in Commit window
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7142199/CloudShot/shot_11122012_234802.png

Developer
Dec 11, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I tried this last one: gitscc.codeplex.com and I like it better than the extensions project. 

Anyways, I have a bunch of changes ready to go. I'd like to have you review them before I commit. How do I do that?

Coordinator
Dec 11, 2012 at 10:44 PM
Edited Dec 11, 2012 at 10:45 PM

You have two ways.

1. Push as new branch
  2. Fork this repository (in source code tab), push to your repository fork and make pull request